In this South Indian dish, yellow pumpkin is cooked until tender in a pot tempered with curry leaves and spicy mustard seeds. As it cooks, onions, spicy chilis, and turmeric are added to the pot and cooked until the pumpkin is tender enough to be mashed. This side dish is spicy and best paired with rice and your favorite curry.
South Indian Mashed Pumpkin [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for South Indian Mashed Pumpkin [Vegan]
- 1 17-ounce yellow pumpkin, cubed with the skin on
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 stick of curry leaves
- 1 cup water
How to Prepare South Indian Mashed Pumpkin [Vegan]
- Wash the pumpkin and dice to cubes. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan or kadhai, and temper the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the chopped onions and green chilis and cook for 1 minute on medium-low heat. Add pumpkin cubes and stir well.
- Add turmeric powder and add salt to taste. Cook it, covered, for 5 minutes. Add water and then cook it, covered, for another 10-12 minutes or until all the moisture is absorbed. During this span of time, stir the pumpkin occasionally and then mash it with a ladle.
- Serve hot with rice and curry.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 296 | Total Carbs: 72 g | Total Fat: 0 g | Total Protein: 12 g | Total Sodium: 20 mg | Total Sugar: 20 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.