A popular doctor is warning about a future virus that could be worse than the coronavirus. Dr. Michael Greger, the author of the best-selling book How Not To Die, says a deadlier plague could come from chickens if we aren’t careful about our food supply. His new book, How to Survive a Pandemic: Overcoming COVID-19 and Preventing the Next Deadly Outbreak, goes into detail on the subject.
His book discusses poultry transmitted viruses like H5N1 could be deadlier than the coronavirus if it passes from chickens to humans. He writes, “With so many different coronaviruses circulating among so many different species, it is considered likely a matter of when, not if, the next recombinant coronavirus will emerge and burst into the human population. While global pangolin populations are in drastic decline, we produce and slaughter more than a billion pigs each year, nearly half in China along, raising the spectre that the next pandemic may arise from domestic rather than wild animals, an event that may actually have already happened.”
Dr. Greger, a long-time advocate for plant-based diets, is urging people to consider how domestic animals are raised and how to stop animal-borne diseases from spreading. He says, “long as there is poultry, there will be pandemics.”
- The Shocking Truth About the Health and Environmental Impact of Factory Farm Waste
- How Factory Farms Impact the Communities Where They are Located
- The Dangers of Using Waste From Factory Farms As Fertilizer 5 years ago
- The Human Cost of Factory Farming
- 5 Modern Diseases on the Rise Because of Factory Farming
- We’re Eating Sick Animals and Getting Deadly Diseases Because the USDA Won’t Uphold Basic Welfare Standards in Slaughterhouses
- 4 Shocking Human Illnesses That are Linked to Factory Farms
- Link Between Factory Farming and Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!