Infectious disease experts have signed an open letter to Boris Johnson emphasizing the connection between fur farming and pandemic disease risk. The letter comes ahead of the G7 Summit, taking place soon in the UK. Activists are calling on the government to ban fur sales and imports after the government announced an open call for evidence and information on the practice.
The letter reads, “Fur farms have the potential to act as reservoirs of Sars-CoV-2. The intensive breeding conditions typical on fur farms – animals unnaturally crowded together, poor hygiene, stress, injuries and low genetic diversity – are ideal for the creation and spread of novel pathogens. The trade creates potential for the many tens of millions of animals on fur farms to act as immediate, intermediate or amplifier hosts for viral pathogens. To risk jeopardising our ability to control and end this or future global coronavirus pandemics, for the sake of fur fashion production, would seem imprudent.”
67 health experts signed the letter, including Alastair MacMillan, a former UK government chief scientific adviser and chief vet, and Alick Simmons, a former government deputy chief vet.
Claire Bass, executive director of HSI/UK said in The Independent, “We can no longer ignore that fur farms make for a perfect petri dish for pandemics. As the first country in the world to ban fur farming two decades ago, the UK as G7 host is in a unique position to urge world leaders to take decisive action.”
The first infections on mink fur farms were found in April and the Dutch government used the opportunity to take a stance against the industry and call for closing all farms by March 2021. Over a million mink were killed during the pandemic. Read more about mink and fur farms during coronavirus, including the coronavirus spread through Dutch farms, a million mink killed by Dutch fur farms during coronavirus, and the Dutch government’s previous statement on mink and the coronavirus.
Sign this petition to ban fur farming in the European Union!
- States Introduce Fur Ban Legislation to Fight COVID-19 and Animal Cruelty
- 10 Adorable Minks That Will Convince You to Go Fur-Free!
- UK Designers Push Prime Minister Boris Johnson to Ban Fur Sales
- Shocking New Footage of Animals Suffering on a Polish Fur Farm
- Here are the Innocent Faces of the Cruel Fur Industry
- Mink on Wisconsin Fur Farm Test Positive for COVID-19
- Victory! World’s Largest Fur Auction House to Close
- Dutch Mink Fur Farms to Close by March 2021!
- Disturbing Footage Described as “Scene From Hell” of Animals Suffering at a Fox Fur Farm
- New Undercover Investigation Shows How Baby Foxes Are Raised For Their Fur (VIDEO)
- Mink Rescued From Fur Farm Experiences Water for the First Time (VIDEO)
- As Public Support for Fur Farming Declines, Animal Advocates Demand End to UK Fur Sales
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!