Bring a Katz’s Delicatessen classic to your breakfast table with these vegan cheese blintzes. Rather than dairy-based cheese, these pastries are filled with a combination of tofu and vegan cream cheese. Drizzle on some of the blueberry sauce for the perfect touch of sweetness.
Cream Cheese Blintzes With Blueberry Drizzle [Vegan]
For the Crêpes:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted, plus more for frying
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Sweet Cheese Filling:
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu, drained, rinsed, and pressed for 1 hour
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Blueberry sauce
To Make the Crêpes:
- In a blender, combine the milk, 1 3/4 cups of the water, butter, flour, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Blend until fully mixed. The batter should be very runny. If it is too thick, add the remaining 1/4 cup water. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat an 8-inch crêpe pan or nonstick pan over medium heat and brush it with a little melted butter. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl it around so it covers the bottom evenly; pour any excess back into the remaining batter. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds, until the batter sets. Use a heat-proof rubber spatula to loosen and flip the crêpe. Cook another 30 seconds. The crêpes should be pliable, not crisp, and lightly brown. Slide them onto a plate and continue making the crêpes until all the batter is used. Cover the stack of crêpes with a towel to keep them from drying out.
To Make the Sweet Cheese Filling:
- Crumble the tofu into a medium mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix together well. Your hands are the best tools for the job.
- Add the nutritional yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well to thoroughly combine. Taste and add more sugar or salt as needed. The mixture should taste like sweet cheese, slightly sweet and a bit salty.
To Fill and Fry the Crêpes:
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sweet cheese filling along the lower third of the crêpe. Fold the bottom edge of the crêpe away from you to just cover the filling.
- Fold the 2 sides in to the center. Roll the crêpe away from you a couple of times to make a package, ending with the seam side down. Repeat this process with the remaining crêpes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a little vegan butter to the skillet. Pan-fry the blintzes for 2 minutes per side until crisp and golden.
- Remove the blintzes from the skillet and drain them on a paper towel–lined plate. Repeat this process until all the blintzes are fried. To serve, dust the blintzes with confectioner's sugar and serve with the blueberry sauce.