Need the perfect cream cheese for your bagels? This cashew tofu cream cheese has the thick, creamy texture of the dairy version along with that slightly tangy flavor brought to you by lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. It's a fantastic neutral base for adding in your favorite flavors: try it with chives and garlic, dill, or even strawberry!
Cashew Tofu Cream Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cashew Tofu Cream Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar
How to Prepare Cashew Tofu Cream Cheese [Vegan]
- Put the cashews in a 2-cup measuring cup (or bowl) and cover with filtered water to the top.
- Set aside and soak overnight, or at least 2 hours. Drain well.
- Press the tofu. To do that, wrap the tofu block with paper towels. Weigh it down on a cutting board with a heavy cast-iron skillet (or a regular skillet with cans on top) for 10 minutes.
- Let the water in the tofu drain and saturate the paper towels. Remove the paper towels and place the tofu in a clean kitchen towel. Covering well, squeeze out as much moisture as you can over the sink.
- When dry, add the tofu to a high-speed blender. Add the remaining ingredients: soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Blend until smooth, starting at a low speed, and gradually moving higher. Blend for 2 minutes.
- This is a thick mixture, so use your tamper from the beginning to blend the ingredients.
- Check with a spatula that all the ingredients are being blended.
- Add any seasoning /flavorings you like, such as dill, lemon zest, mustard, capers, red onion, etc... Store in an airtight glass container.
- Will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 1 3/4 cups.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 791 | Total Carbs: 29 g | Total Fat: 53 g | Total Protein: 54 g | Total Sodium: 1679 g | Total Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.