A flavorful and simple meal that is easy to freeze and store for another night. This recipe is healthier than your average chimichanga recipe. Instead of frying, these chimichangas are baked. They are the perfect size for a filling dinner on a chilly evening.
“Chicken” Chimichangas [Vegan]
- 2 cups shredded vegan “chicken”
- 1, 4 1/2-ounce can mild chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1, 15-ounce can refried beans
- 6 flour tortillas
- optional: non-dairy sour cream, green salsa, and avocado for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegan chicken, green chiles, non-dairy cheese, scallions, lime juice, oregano, cumin, and cayenne and mix well.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of refried beans along the center of each tortilla. Top refried beans with 1/2-3/4 cup of the “chicken” mixture. Roll and place seam-side down in a baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with green salsa, non-dairy sour cream, or avocado, if you like.