For game nights or house parties, this salsa will help kick up your party a notch. The smoky taste of charred corn with fresh green tomatoes and a hint of basil will send your taste buds flying.
Fresh Green Tomato, Charred Corn, and Basil Salsa [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Fresh Green Tomato, Charred Corn, and Basil Salsa [Vegan]
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silks completely removed
- olive oil
- 1 medium-large green tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 13 to 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded, and very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 generous tablespoons minced basil
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Prepare Fresh Green Tomato, Charred Corn, and Basil Salsa [Vegan]
- Preheat broiler.
- Rub the corn lightly with olive oil and place the pan on the top oven rack.
- Watching carefully--though this will take quite a few minutes--char the corn lightly, turning it one or two times. (I even shut the oven door, despite using the broiler, to reduce the cooking time.)
- Remove the corn from the oven, cool, and cut the kernels off the cob into a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, toss lightly to combine, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with chips, pita wedges, as a bruschetta topping, or spooned over pan-sauteed or grilled mini tofu or seitan squares.
In the summer since corn is so very sweet, you might want to add a little additional salt, balsamic vinegar, or even a little squirt of lemon juice to balance the flavors.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.