Nothing beats an overloaded sandwich and this barbecue pulled jackfruit is how you do it right. The jackfruit in this recipe is cooked in barbecue sauce with spices and brown sugar so it is smoky, sweet, and tangy. Once you take that first bite, you'll agree: this sandwich is fantastic! The flavor is great, the texture perfect, and a little (or a lot) of coleslaw provides the perfect cool, crispy crunch to contrast the tender, meaty barbecue jackfruit.
Brown Sugar Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 20-ounce cans jackfruit in brine or water (not syrup)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Buns, gluten-free if necessary
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Coleslaw, red onions, lettuce, or whatever sandwich fillings you like
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit and place it in a bowl.
- Add your brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until well-combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in a large skillet and fry the jackfruit for 3 minutes.
- Next, add 1 cup of barbecue sauce and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer it for about 30 minutes adding the 1/4 cup of water to thin the sauce if needed. Stir occasionally.
- Once the jackfruit has softened, remove it from the heat and pull it apart with two forks.
- Serve it on a bun with all your favorite fixings.
Adapted from BuzzFeed Oz.