Unlike conventional, store-bought BBQ sauces that use sugar or high fructose corn syrup, this crockpot BBQ sauce utilizes the natural sweetness of tomatoes and a touch of molasses. It can also be given a smoky flavor using either liquid smoke or a hefty amount of chili powder and smoky paprika. This recipe is great because you literally throw everything in the crockpot, give is a quick stir, and leave it to percolate into thick, saucy goodness.
Slow-Cooker BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Slow-Cooker BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 cups unflavored, unsalted tomato purée
- 3/4 cups white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
How to Prepare Slow-Cooker BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- In the bowl of a slow-cooker, stir together the tomato purée, vinegar, molasses, tamari, and mustard until combined.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, uncovered, on high for 3 1/2-4 hours until thickened and darkened in color.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.