While flavored ices have been around since Ancient Roman times, the popsicle wasn’t invented until the early 1900s. That’s when Frank Epperson, an 11-year-old boy, accidentally left a glass filled with water, powdered soda mix, and a wooden stirrer outside overnight. In the morning, it was frozen solid so Frank ran it under hot water and removed the ice pop using the stick as a handle. Frank made these pops for his friends and later, his children who called them “Pop’s ‘sicles.” And that, boys and girls, is how popsicles were born.
Almost a century later, popsicles are still popular. Everyone loves food on a stick. Today popsicles are made with exotic flavors like avocado, mango, mojito, and even chili peppers. But buyer beware – a lot of the ice pops you buy in stores are filled with sugar, corn syrup, and artificial colors and flavors. Yuck!
It’s easier and less expensive to make your frozen treats. See How to Make Healthy Dairy-Free Popsicles for all the tips and tricks. Check out these 6 Popsicles You Gotta Have Before the End of the Summer and 8 Epic Dairy-Free Popsicles to Enjoy This Summer. All of these popsicles are creative and delicious. They can be filled with fresh fruit, coconut milk, and fresh herbs like these Cool Basil-Pineapple Pops or chocolatey goodness like these Healthy Chocolate Fudgesicles. Want more? You got it! Here are 10 vegan popsicles that will keep you refreshed and cool all summer long.
1. Matcha Mochi Strawberry Popsicles
Popsicles are so much fun and it’s also fun to try lots of different flavors like these Matcha Mochi Strawberry Popsicles by Leah Moldowan. With homemade mocha and fresh strawberries, these popsicles are creamy, lightly sweet, and have yummy chewy bits throughout.
2. Super-Easy to Make and Totally Yummy Chocolate Covered Banana Pops
Source: Banana Pop
These Banana Pops by Shannon Leparski are just bananas, a two-ingredient chocolate coating, and your favorite toppings. Use fruit, cacao nibs, granola, nuts – whatever you like. These are perfect to make and eat with the kids.
3. Blueberry and Granola Breakfast Popsicles
4. Healthy Matcha Coconut Pops
Source: Healthy Matcha Coconut Pops
These Healthy Matcha Coconut Pops by Charmaine San Pedro blend two amazing flavors into one refreshing pop. Superfood matcha green tea is paired with coconut milk for a delicious treat that is good for you. Keeping cool never tasted so good!
5. Fresh Fruit Lemonade Pops
Source: Fresh Fruit Lemonade Pops
Fresh fruit and lemonade on a hot summer day is a classic combination. It’s just as heavenly in these Fresh Fruit Lemonade Pops by Bianca Scartabello made with fresh strawberries, mango, and watermelon. They’re also pretty which is always a plus!
6. Peach Tea Ice Pops With Bourbon
Source: Peach Tea Ice Pops with Bourbon
7. Creamy Coconut Mango Pops (With a Boozy Version)
Source: Coconut Mango Pops
8. Patriotic Popsicles
Source: Patriotic Popsicles
If you loved the red, white, and blue rocket popsicles as a kid, you’ll be thrilled with this healthier version. These Patriotic Popsicles by Shannon Leparski are free of added sugars, colors, or anything weird. It doesn’t have to be on the 4th of July to enjoy these but expect the fireworks!
9. Irish Cream Fudgesicles
Source: Irish Cream Fudgesicles
10. Piña Colada Popsicles
The coconut, the rum, the pineapple…might as well throw in a one-way ticket to Waikiki beach. These fun, easy-to-make Piña Colada Popsicles by Native Foods Cafe are the perfect treat for outdoor entertaining and transporting your guests to the tropics.
Popsicles may have been invented by accident but what a lucky break it turned out to be! Enjoy these cool and refreshing treats all summer long.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, and prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the ecological and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.