Pasta is incredibly versatile and can be dressed up to fit any occasion. Pasta dishes also tend to be very simple, making them the perfect choice for an easy Thanksgiving side dish. The holidays can be a little tougher for those who eat vegan as they often end up having to cook their own dishes, so these recipes offer a perfect solution. From ravioli to risotto, we have 15 fantastic recipes of pasta sides packed with pumpkin, squash, mushrooms, creamy sauces, and more! And we couldn’t forget a classic like baked macaroni and cheese. If you’re looking for a lighter or gluten-free version, try substituting zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or simply some gluten-free pasta!
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App – with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy!
Also, don’t forget to check out our ultimate guide to plant-based recipes for Thanksgiving!
1. Pumpkin Pasta With Tomatoes and Basil
This colorful Pumpkin Pasta With Tomatoes and Basil by Sina is ready in less than half an hour, so it’s great for quick weeknight dinners or a last-minute Thanksgiving side! Creamy pumpkin combines with tomato and basil to make a bridge between summer and fall flavors. To give the pasta an extra boost of iron and to stick with the pumpkin theme, it’s topped off with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds!
2. Roasted Veggie Pasta With Sage Cream Sauce
When we think of fall, we think of flavorful comfort foods and roasted veggies. This Roasted Veggie Pasta With Sage Cream Sauce by Kristen Genton, with seasonal and colorful root vegetables, is just that kind of meal. Covered with a cream sauce made from garlic and fresh sage, it provides a balance of flavor between roast vegetables and herby sauce.
Gratitude: Plant-Based Thanksgiving Cookbook
No other holiday captures the spirit of home cooking the way Thanksgiving does. This is why you need the ultimate Thanksgiving cookbook, One Green Planet’s Gratitude: Plant-Based Recipes to Create your own Thanksgiving Tradition! In the cookbook, you’ll find our 100 most popular plant-based Thanksgiving recipes like Soft Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, Spiced Apple Cake with Cashew Frosting, Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding with Nut Crumble Topping, Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies, and hearty entrees like Roast Root Vegetable Stack With Dukkah, Vegducken: Butternut Squash Stuffed With Eggplant, Zucchini, and a Mushroom Lentil Stuffing, and Seitan Roast With Sausage and Pear Stuffing and Apple Cider Gravy and so much more!
3. Sweet Potato Ravioli With Creamy White Sauce
A creamy and rich sweet potato filling topped with a silky smooth white sauce infused with tarragon and garlic. Completely homemade and delicious! Impress your guests with this Sweet Potato Ravioli With Creamy White Sauce by Taavi Moore.
4. Crispy Gnocchi With Mushrooms, Asparagus, and Brussels Sprouts
When you need a quick, one-pot dish for dinner, this crispy vegan gnocchi recipe is the way to go. It’s fast, easy to make, and packed with healthy veggies! This Crispy Gnocchi With Mushrooms, Asparagus, and Brussels Sprouts by Rhea Parsons is delicious, satisfying, and perfect for any fall day or the holidays!
5. Pasta with Sweet Potato Sauce
Source: Pasta with Sweet Potato Sauce
Sweet potato is the thing for fall. Almost everyone loves it! But what you may not know about the sweet potato is that it makes the most delicious (and wholesome) pasta sauce. Yes, pasta sauce from a potato! Give this Pasta with Sweet Potato Sauce by Laine Rudolfa a try this holiday season.
6. Creamy Butternut Squash and Roasted Tomato Pasta
A super creamy pasta with roasted butternut squash and blistered roasted tomatoes! This sauce can create many recipes. Add a bit more liquid and enjoy it as a bisque or thick soup. Keep it thick and dip fresh bread into it. Or keep it as it is and toss it in some pasta noodles. This Creamy Butternut Squash and Roasted Tomato Pasta is by Taavi Moore truly the perfect fall recipe!
7. Pumpkin Ravioli in White Wine Butter Sage Sauce
Although making your ravioli takes a bit more work than opening a package, with hard work comes great rewards. These tasty Pumpkin Ravioli in White Wine Butter Sage Sauce by Gabrielle St. Claire have pumpkin folded into the dough, which gives them a lovely orange color. Then, they are stuffed with creamy pumpkin purée and vegan Parmesan and cooked until tender. The finishing touch is a delicious white wine butter sauce that is perfectly seasoned with fresh sage. This makes a small serving, so you’ll want to make more if you’re serving a crowd!
8. Five Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This Five Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese by Joni Marie Newman gets its cheesiness from a nutritional yeast-filled sauce, a tofu ricotta-like mixture, vegan cream cheese, shredded vegan cheese, and walnut parmesan sprinkles. Mac and cheese is the perfect comfort food and makes a great side dish on Thanksgiving!
9. Mushroom Stroganoff
Source: Mushroom Stroganoff
This Mushroom Stroganoff by Molly Patrick is a delicious and hearty dish to serve alongside your holiday feasts or any night of the week! The mushrooms give it an almost meaty texture and it is full of yummy fall seasonings like thyme and sage. It is sure to please anyone who gives it a try!
10. Baked Mushroom Risotto With Rosemary and Dried Cranberries
This Baked Mushroom Risotto With Rosemary and Dried Cranberries by Taavi Moore is incredibly creamy and luscious. Embedded with soft chewy chunks of dried cranberries and sun-dried tomatoes. Flavored with fresh rosemary and homemade cream of mushroom soup. This will be the perfect side dish during your Thanksgiving meal.
11. Creamy Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagna
This Creamy Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagna by Vaishali Honawar is an extraordinarily healthy indulgence. A single serving packs nearly 11 grams of protein, more than 8 grams of dietary fiber, and more than 400 percent of your daily requirement for Vitamin A. Although I called this a lasagna for two, it could easily feed four people. Guests will love this hearty and healthy fall dish on their Thanksgiving table!
12. Napoletana Pumpkin With Pasta
Source: Napoletana Pumpkin With Pasta
This is a rich tomato sauce and the addition of pumpkin and pine nuts makes it deliciously satisfying. You can make this Napoletana Pumpkin With Pasta by Olivia Budgen your own by choosing your favorite type of pasta. The pumpkin makes this dish a wonderful meal for fall!
13. Creamy Sweet Potato Pasta
Source: Creamy Sweet Potato Pasta
Another orange, creamy sauce for fall. This delicious, creamy, and nutrient-dense Sweet Potato Pasta by Olivia Budgen will leave you feeling full, happy, and satisfied. Mushrooms add a great, hearty texture.
14. Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Source: Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is one of the most popular dishes transitioning vegans worry about, but there is truly no need to! This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese by Ashley Smyczek does the trick to satisfy that craving. There’s a slight twist on the classic here with the addition of butternut squash to the cheese sauce. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
15. Truffled Mushroom Risotto
Source: Truffled Mushroom Risotto
Whether you’re looking for an indulgent celebratory meal or just a cozy, stay-home-in-your-PJ’s dish, look no further. This vegan mushroom risotto is loaded with heady and aromatic truffles and cooks up silky and divine. And it’s dead simple. You’re going to fall in love with this recipe. It’s so creamy and rich––the perfect treat for yourself. Try out this vegan mushroom risotto for the holidays!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.