Mac and cheese is the one of the most popular dishes transitioning vegans worry about, but there is truly no need to! This butternut squash mac and cheese does the trick to satisfy that classic craving.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 med onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cups almond milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 packed cup spinach, julienned
- 16 ounces noodles
- Cut butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Lay face down in a pan filled with 1/2 in of water. Roast them at 375ºF for 40-45 minutes or until very tender.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a pot, heat a little oil and add in onion and garlic. Once tender and fragrant, turn off heat.
- Scoop your squash into the pot with your onions and add in milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon, salt, pepper and turmeric. Remember, the turmeric gives a little bite which I absolutely love, but the kids wouldn't eat it so know your audience before adding it in.
- Using your immersion blender, mix all ingredients. Next, add in your spinach. The heat of the sauce will wilt your greens just a little bit.
- Mix in your noodles and serve.