This baked, vegan version of mac and cheese gets its cheesiness from a nutritional yeast-filled sauce, a tofu ricotta-like mixture, vegan cream cheese, shredded vegan cheese, and walnut parmesan sprinkles. Yep, that's five! If you are looking for an unbeatable "cheesy" comfort dish, here you are.
Five Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese [Vegan]
For the Walnut Parmesan:
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, according to taste
For the Mac and Cheese:
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter
- 1 cup plain vegan creamer or non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Walnut Parmesan:
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse to combine until walnut pieces have been ground into a powder.
To Make the Mac and Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While pasta is boiling, prepare the noochy sauce and tofu mixture.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in a small pot over medium high heat. Stir in creamer, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in flour. Whisk vigorously until thickened and no lumps appear. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make tofu mixture by crumbling tofu into a mixing bowl, and mashing miso, mustard, and olive oil into it with your hands until well incorporated.
- After the pasta is prepared, drain and return to the pot.
- Add noochy sauce, tofu mixture, cream cheese, and shredded cheese to the macaroni.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking dish. Sprinkle an even layer of walnut parmesan sprinkles all over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.