Sweet potato is the thing. Almost everyone loves it! But what you may not know about the sweet potato is that it makes the most delicious (and wholesome) pasta sauce. Yes, pasta sauce from a potato! So here we go with this recipe – vegan pasta in a creamy sweet potato sauce.
Pasta with Sweet Potato Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled
- 1 onion
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 1/2 can of full-fat coconut milk
- a knob of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- a big pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- 2 cups whole grain penne pasta (or any other pasta; gluten-free if necessary)
- for toppings: a few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped spring onions, crushed peanuts and a pinch of lemon zest (or use your favorite pasta toppings)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Chop the onion, garlic, and ginger and add to the saucepan. Sautee for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cube the sweet potato and add to the saucepan along with 1/2 teas[ppm of salt and a pinch of pepper. Put the lid on and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the sweet potato is very soft.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, add coconut milk and lemon juice. Blend with a hand blender or transfer to a food processor/blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding more water or coconut milk if necessary. Taste test and add more salt or pepper if you feel like it.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sweet potato sauce until all the pasta is well covered. Serve topped with fresh thyme leaves, chopped spring onions, crushed peanuts and a pinch of lemon zest.