Mushroom Stroganoff is a classic comfort food dish that pairs perfectly with a cracking fire and snow falling outside your window. Mushrooms make this vegan stroganoff nice and hardy because of their meaty texture. They also have a delicious earthy taste. After you’ve made this mushroom stroganoff once, you will quickly add it to your weekly dinner rotations until tank top season, at which point, you only might give it a rest.
Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
4 - 6
- 8 ounces uncooked ribbon noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups beefless beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (half Portobello and half White Button mushrooms), cut into large 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream (optional)
- 10 turns of fresh ground, black pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Cook the noodles per the direction on the package. Undercook them a bit because they will be cooked again once incorporated into the sauce.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, and tomato paste, while stirring at the same time. Stir until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- Add the vinegar and simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Add the noodles, sour cream, 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper, and parsley, and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
-You can make this dish gluten-free if you use gluten-free pasta, gluten-free soy sauce, and substitute the whole wheat flour with rice flour. - If you want a soy-free version, swap out the soy sauce with sea salt to taste.