Although making your own ravioli takes a bit more work than opening a package, with hard work comes great reward. These tasty ravioli have pumpkin folded into the dough, which gives them a lovely orange color. Then, they are stuffed with creamy pumpkin purée and vegan Parmesan and cooked until tender. The finishing touch is a delicious white wine butter sauce that is perfectly seasoned with fresh sage. This makes a small serving, so it is the perfect entrée for an intimate gathering or you can double the batch and freeze the rest for later!
Pumpkin Ravioli in White Wine Butter Sage Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced sage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie seasoning
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 15-ounce can pumpkin purée, for the filling
- Heat a large pot of water on the stove with a tbsp. of salt to later cook the pasta.
- Sift flours together. Form a well and add 1/2 cup pumpkin purée in the middle.
- Begin to fold in the flour into the pumpkin and minced sage.
- Knead for a minute, then drizzle olive oil into the dough. Knead the dough until it looks uniform. Spread out the dough into a wide rectangle.
- In a bowl, mix the pumpkin with pumpkin pie seasoning and a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan cheese. You'll probably need 1/2 small can of pumpkin for the filling. Scoop and place onto the dough. (1 tablespoon each) Make sure to spread them enough distance apart. Once placed, fold half of the rectangle over and press around the ravioli to remove any air pockets so they will cook evenly. Cut out the ravioli and discard any uneven edges. Brush ravioli with water to retain moisture.
- Wrap the ravioli in saran wrap so the dough stays fresh set aside.
- Heat a pot of boiling water with 1 teaspoon salt. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat minced garlic, pumpkin seeds, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon butter for 3 minutes, then add 1/2 cup white wine and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.When the pot of water is boiling drop the
- When the pot of water is boiling, drop the ravioli in and let cook for 3-5 minutes or until they float to the top. Remove from water and top with minced sage, white wine sauce, pepper, and garnish with additional vegan Parmesan cheese.