Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
New South Wales is experiencing devastating wildfires, the worst in recorded history. According to Sky News, over 350 koalas have been killed in the 70 wildfires burning across the state. New South Wales is 250 miles north of Sydney.
Koala groups say that koala numbers are as few as 43,000. Habitat loss, disease, dog attacks and climate change are all to blame for the decrease. Australia’s government lists the animal as “vulnerable.”
Cheyne Flanagan is the clinical director at the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital. She said that koalas are suffering both in the fires and in the after affects. “It’s such a sad sound, hearing the cry of a burned koala,” she said,”The poor animal gets virtually cooked, like being in a microwave, melting its fur. Burns are really very painful.” Flanagan said that the animals can recover after the fires with adequate nutrition and recovery periods.
But habitat destruction is still an enormous problem for these animals. The World Wildlife Fund estimates that 980,000 acres of forest were cleared in Queensland in 2015 and 2016, which killed 45 million animals. Experts link deforestation to the recent fires. And Greg Mullins, the former fire chief of New South Wales Fire and Rescue said, “Climate change has supercharged the bushfire problem.”
But the Australian government isn’t as comfortable mentioning climate change in these fires. According the Guardian, Mullins, along with other fire and emergency chiefs, have been trying to meet with the Prime Minster since April to discuss bushfire season. They have been left out of talks and were reportedly not allowed to mention Climate change.
According to Flanagan, the best way to protect koalas is to stop cutting down their forest homes. Sign this petition to end deforestation in Queensland.
Check out the following resources:
- Walmart, Costco, Target, McDonalds and More! Companies Linked to Promoting Amazon Deforestation
- Beef Industry Linked to Catastrophic Deforestation for Great Barrier Reef Catchments
- Orangutans Are Suffering in Indonesian Fires Right Now Due to Palm Oil Deforestation!
- From Soy, Palm Oil and Beef Consumption to Human Rights and Habitat Exploitation: All You Need To Know About Deforestation In Light of The Amazon Fires
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- WOW! Photo Reveals the Shocking Link Between Animal Agriculture and Deforestation
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- New Investigation Exposes Burger King’s Connection to Mass Deforestation in Latin America
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is Largely to Blame
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!