According to the Global Pulse Confederation, the chickpea supply could fall 20 percent this year. The United States is the fourth largest chickpea exporter in the world. However, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported that farmers planted nearly five percent fewer acres of chickpeas this year because of bad weather.
Last year, the US market for chickpeas was cut by a third due to droughts in North Dakota and Washington state. Stockpiles are low, and as of June 1st, domestic supplies are down 10.5 percent from the year prior, according to the USDA.
Navneet Singh Chhabra, the director of Shree Sheela International, a global chickpea trader, said that because Ukraine could not seed the whole chickpea crop, 50,000 tonnes of chickpeas that were supposed to go to Europe could not.
Sanctions aimed to cut off Russia have also meant stopping purchases of its agricultural products. Chhabra said that Russia normally accounts for 25 percent of global trade.
Because of the supply shortage, prices of chickpeas have jumped from last year, and hummus prices have also increased by 6.9 percent since 2019.
- Spotlight on Chickpeas: Health Benefits, Tips, and Recipes
- Russian Invasion of Ukraine Will be Devastating for Global Food Supply
- Italian Artist Uses Dry Fields to Create Environmental Statement as Northern Italy Suffers Worst Drought in 70 Years
- Ukraine to Seek Compensation For Environmental Damage Due to Russian Invasion
- Six Giraffes Found Dead Due to Drought
- Northern Italy’s Extreme Drought Leads to Citizens Getting Fined for Wasting Water
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!