A zoo on the Magdalena Peninsula in Santander, Spain is under criticism from animal rights activists after horrible images were shared on social media of the zoo. Activists are calling for the closure of the Magdalena Zoo.
Zoo visitors saw a dead sea lion in plain sight, alongside the seal display area that was reduced to just a pond. The zoo houses sea lions, penguins and seals. Many animals were seen covered in algae and clearly neglected.
“We arrived at the seal enclosure and we saw that the water was stagnant and greenish,” said Instagram influencer Laura Gangoso, “We saw a sick or dead seal (in poor condition) floating, its surface was full of verdin, a kind of moss or grass, since it had been floating for a long time without submerging.”
Este Tuit va para @RevillaMiguelA : Va vd. a hacer algo con las malas condiciones en las que se encuentra el ZOO DE LA MAGDALENA DE SANTANDER ❓ Ya es hora del #CierreZooLaMagdalena no cree ❓ Implíquese, hay muchos animales en MUY malas condiciones HAGA ALGO #BastaYa pic.twitter.com/KGZPSrozBP
— Rocser 💜💜🔻 (@RoserRocs) July 3, 2020
An animal rights activist who started a change.org petition to close to zoo said, “This has been going on for decades. These animals are in terrible conditions, they are clearly sad and apathetic. It makes no sense to have them imprisoned in that space. The climatic and social conditions and the small space are not adequate for these species.”
Zoos are made for humans, not animals. Cages in zoos are designed to furnish the best viewing experience for people. The cages lack privacy and space. Animals are often under stressful conditions. According to PETA, animals needs are often overlooked. They are not given ample room to exercise or for mental stimulation. According to Outside, the average lifespan of an elephant in captivity is 17 years, 39 years shorter than elephants in the wild.
Sign this petition to close the Magdalena Zoo!
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
- Top 5 Misleading Claims Zoos Make
- How Superstitions and Myths Affect Animal Conservation
- Top 5 Conservation Programs That Help Kids Connect With Animals and Nature
- How Saving Wildlife Benefits Humans – In Ways We Really Need
- 10 Reasons to Skip Your Next Zoo Visit
- 6 Documentaries That Will Change the Way You Think About Animals and the Environment
- 5 Things We Need to Stop Telling Ourselves About Zoos
- Can Zoos Really be the Key to Bringing Endangered Species Back From the Brink?
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!