According to China Rescue Dogs, a UK 8-year-old is helping raise money to help the dog meat trade in China. Rhys Stevens is riding his lime green Zebra bike to help raise money for the dogs suffering in the trade.
His mom, Kathleen Stevens, encouraged him and so far Rhys has raised over $6,000. “Rhys is passionate about dogs and animals in general. He just wants to do good things and make a difference,” Stevens said of her son.
Even quiet, shy Rhys has found it helpful to support causes close to his heart. His donations will help get Lola, a husky, a new home. Rhys shared, “I feel very happy that I’m doing this. I feel very excited that the money I am raising is helping Lola to get to her new home. I love dogs so much and this makes me very happy.”
Jill Stewart, President, and Founder of China Rescue Dogs, is incredibly moved by Rhys; “The fact that an 8-year-old boy, halfway around the world, is so selfless that he would want to ride his bike to help us save these dogs, brings tears to my eyes.”
Rhys’ family set up a Facebook page to track his progress.
According to In Defense of Animals, an estimated 2.5 million dogs are raised and killed each year for meat in South Korea. They are kept in cramped cages and get no exercise or medical care. Many pups are taken from the streets as well as from people’s homes. Read more about the dog meat trade in South Korea including the closing of a notorious market, dogs rescued from South Korea, how these rescue dogs found families in California, and an investigation inside the dog meat trade.
Sign this petition to demand an end to the dog meat trade in China
Read more about the dog meat trade In China and across Asia in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How the Yulin Dog Meat Festival is a Wake Up Call for the Meat Eating World
- Footage from South Korean Dog Meat Auction Shows 200 Dogs Stuffed in Crates, Barking in Fear and Being Prodded with Metal Hooks
- Korean Dog Meat Survivors Find Forever Homes in California!
- 3 Major Health Concerns Associated with Dog Meat Trade
- Cambodian Dog Meat Slaughterhouse Shut Down by Animal Welfare Group; Rescued Dogs Happily Recovering
- Where do Dogs for the Meat Trade Come From? Turns Out Most are Stolen From Rural Homes
- Criminal Minds Actor Daniel Henney Adopts Sweet Pup Rescued from South Korean Dog Meat Farm
- The Real, Tragic Stories of Pet Dogs Stolen From Their Homes and Sold Into the Meat Trade
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!