Lunches are underrated. Bring some good soul food to your lunches with a hearty tofu & coconut bacon caesar sub. It’s perfect for a packed lunch that everyone is going to be jealous of! If you’re not one for bread or don’t fancy risking Caesar sauce dripping onto your work clothes, try compiling the fillings into a salad.
Tofu and Coconut Bacon Caesar Sub [Vegan]
For the Caesar Sauce:
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews*
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of two lemons
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
For the Filling:
- 1/2 block of firm tofu
- 1 cup of coconut bacon
- Handful of rocket or chopped lettuce 4-6 inch gluten-free subs
To Make the Caesar Sauce:
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. It should be a thick sauce. Set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- Press the tofu between two plates to drain the water for about half an hour.
- Once drained, slice the tofu into enough strips for 4 subs.
- Slice the subs and layer on the leaf, tofu, coconut bacon and drizzle with a generous amount of sauce.
*Soak cashews for at least 3 hours or you can soak in boiling water for half an hour.