This high protein, simple, and satisfying breakfast is one of my current faves. You can use any veggies you have in the fridge, simply cut them small and let them get a little bit crispy in the pan. Season them, transfer to a bowl, and use the same pan to toast the pumpkin seeds. You can also buy pre toasted pumpkin seeds, just be sure they have the hulls removed (they should be greenish). Pumpkin seeds are one of nature’s superstars, high in protein, iron, and zinc, and more affordable than most nuts! This is delicious on it’s own, with some scrambled tofu, or stuffed into a tortilla as a burrito filling.
Toasted Pepita Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Toasted Pepita Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
- 1 large waxy potato, yukon gold, red, blue, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, crimini/white/etc, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, raw or pre- toasted
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp of medium/high heat oil (avocado, grape seed, sunflower, canola, etc)
- Optional: Skip oil and use a bit of water or broth in a non stick pan instead
How to Prepare Toasted Pepita Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
- Start by heating 1/2 Tbsp of oil over medium heat (or see note above to make oil free). When hot, add onion to pan along with paprika and chili powder, and cover with lid, let cook 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat until softened a bit. Remove lid, add garlic and bell pepper and stir fry until onion begins to brown a bit.
- Add mushrooms and potatoes to pan and stir to coat. Cover with lid and let cook, mostly undisturbed for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until potatoes are soft. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Transfer to a bowl to keep warm, and wipe out pan if needed. Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp of oil and pumpkin seeds to pan. Cook over low heat until they begin to brown lightly, stirring often. Sprinkle on top of hash and serve with condiments of choice. Wrap up in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito or eat as is. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.