This bangers and mash-inspired dish is the perfect cozy weekend dinner or breakfast. The sausages are made by combining meaty, savory mushrooms with tofu, bread crumbs, and savory spices. They pair perfectly with the creamy, buttery mashed potatoes and savory gravy. With a topping of fried onions, they're even better.
Chestnut Mushroom Sausages With Mash and Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chestnut Mushroom Sausages:
- 1 medium size onion
- 5.3 ounces Closed Cup Chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 7 ounces firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons barbecue seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or any oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups bread crumbs (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
For the Mash:
- 2.2 pounds potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
For the Gravy:
- 2 medium-sized onion
- 2 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, to make it gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chickpea flour or any other flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
To Make the Chestnut Mushroom Sausages:
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Finely chop up an onion and the Closed Cup Chestnut mushrooms, then sauté in a pan with some oil until they have softened and almost all water from the mushrooms has evaporated . It shouldn't be dry, but make sure there is no water from the mushrooms at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mixture, including all other ingredients (except for the bread crumbs and chickpea flour), into a food processor to make a smooth paste.
- Once that's done, pour it into a large bowl, add the bread crumbs and chickpea flour, and combine until you get a nice batter. You might have to add a bit more chickpea flour or bread crumbs if it's too moist.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper, take some of the batter, and roll it into about 15 sausages.
- Baste them with some oil and put into the oven for about 20 minutes. Be aware that they dry out a little bit more once you've taken them out.
To Make the Mash:
- Cook the potatoes until very soft. Peel and then mash together with all other ingredients.
To Make the Gravy:
- Chop onions finely and sauté in a pan with a bit of oil until lightly browned. Add all other ingredients and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Season to taste if necessary. Put into a blender and process until you get a smooth gravy.
- Serve the sausages on the mash with some fried onion rings on top and pour the gravy over it.