This decadent pasta dish is the ultimate weeknight comfort food. Pasta is enveloped by a creamy, velvety pumpkin sauce and a generous sprinkling of dairy-free Parmesan. The sauce is made by roasting the pumpkin until tender and then blending it until smooth and luscious and combining it with shallots, chili flakes, garlic, and fresh herbs. A crumbly almond Parmesan on top makes it an unforgettable experience.
Pumpkin and Almond Parmesan Pasta [Vegan
Ingredients You Need for Pumpkin and Almond Parmesan Pasta [Vegan
For the Pasta:
- 6 ounces orecchiette
- 1/2 pound roasted pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 spring of rosemary, chopped
- 7 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/4 of a shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
For the Almond Parmesan:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 5 blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- Salt, to taste
How to Prepare Pumpkin and Almond Parmesan Pasta [Vegan
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Cube the pumpkin, spread it onto a baking sheet, cover with tinfoil to keep it from drying out, and cook until it is soft. Add to a food processor or high-speed blender and purée until creamy, adding water or vegetable broth as needed.
- In a skillet, cook the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes with a little olive oil. Add water, if needed. Add the sage and rosemary, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Dilute the tomato paste with a little bit of water, then add it to the pan along with the pumpkin purée and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add water, if needed, until you get a soft and velvety sauce. Finally, stir in the parsley, season with salt, and cook for 2 more minutes. Cook the pasta in salted water.
- Meanwhile, prepare the almond Parmesan by combining the almonds with the yeast and wheat germ in a blender. Mix everything together for 30 seconds, then add the miso.
- Drain the pasta and toss in pan with the cream of pumpkin, adding a few tablespoons of cooking water to make it creamy. Serve sprinkled almond Parmesan.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.