When you make this casserole, it'll fill your home with the aroma of fall. Warming flavors of cinnamon and maple syrup are combined with sweet apple, hearty and comforting mashed sweet potato, and a creamy almond sauce that ties it all together. It's topped with crunchy, buttery candied pecans to make a wonderful, fall-approved, and satisfying side dish.
Sweet Potato Casserole With Almond Sauce and Candied Pecans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Almond Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups almonds, soaked overnight
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk
- Salt, pepper, and nutmeg, to taste (optional)
For the Candied Pecans:
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the Casserole:
- Almond sauce
- Mashed sweet potatoes
- Candied pecans
- 1 apple, sliced and mixed with 1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
To Make the Almond Sauce:
- Soak the almonds in water overnight.
- Drain the almonds and transfer them to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
To Make the Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks. Transfer to a saucepan, add water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes, are soft.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and transfer them to a bowl. Mash them with a potato masher. Add coconut or almond milk and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
To Make the Candied Pecans:
- Combine pecans, maple syrup, and cinnamon, and whisk together.
To Make the Casserole:
- In a glass baking dish, start with 1/2 of the sweet potato mixture, spread almond sauce, apple slices, and optional raisins. Add the rest of the sweet potato mixture and finish with candied pecans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then serve.
- Sweet Potato