What's to love about quiches? What's not? You can serve them hot or cold, for breakfast or for lunch and the fillings are limitless — even if you don't use eggs! This quiche has a crumbly pastry crust made from a blend of flour, buckwheat, and hemp seeds and a creamy pumpkin filling seasoned with rosemary and sage that's topped with sautéed Porcini mushrooms. Serve this with a seasonal salad on the side.
Pumpkin and Mushroom Quiche [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 11.2 ounces pumpkin, cubed
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sage leaf
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5.2 ounces Porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 small fresh chili
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt, as needed
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- .5 ounces hemp flour (grind hemp seeds in a coffee grinder or mini food processor)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed flax seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Roughly 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon sourdough
To Make the Crust:
- Soak the whole flax seeds soaked in 3 tablespoons of water for 3 hours (or overnight). A gel should form. Using a metal sieve, strain the gel from the seeds and discard the seeds.
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt, and ground flax. Make a well in the center and add the oil and enough water to obtain a workable dough. Roll it into a ball, wrap it with plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Cut the pumpkin into small pieces. Heat oil and add the garlic, rosemary, sage, and 2 red pepper slices in a pan. Add the pumpkin with a pinch of salt and cook until the vegetables soften.
- Add everything to a blender and purée until smooth. Next, add the chickpeas flour, flaxseed gel, soy cream, and 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove the gills. Cut into thin slices. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan, then add the chopped red pepper and a crushed garlic clove. Add the mushrooms and salt, then sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley at the end.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- On a clean surface, roll out the dough and then press it into the bottom of a 9-inch springform cake pan. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Pour in the pumpkin cream, place the mushrooms on the surface, add a dribble of olive oil and bake for 45 minutes. During the last 15 minutes, cover the quiche with foil to keep the mushrooms from drying out.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, and serve with a mixed salad.