Seitan is a complete protein with the mouthfeel of meat, make great kebabs, especially when made with the flavorful marinade. The tomato salad was inspired by a thing called spootie, which is basically a bunch of fruit soaked in liquor overnight. Sangria on steroids is really what it’s like. I reinvented it with white wine and cherry tomatoes to make a savory salad. You will need 6 to 8 wooden or metal skewers for this recipe. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20 minutes before using.
Seitan Kebabs With Sangria Tomato Salad [Vegan]
- 2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup julienned red onion
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into large pieces
- 6 to 8 button mushrooms (optional)
- 1 pound seitan, cut into chunks
- Salad: Mix all salad ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes while making the kebabs.
- Marinade: Mix all marinade ingredients together in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the skewers. Set aside.
- Kebabs: Slide a piece of onion, pepper, mushroom (if using), and seitan onto each skewer, repeating until the skewers are full, leaving 1/2 inch free at either end. Place the skewers in the marinade and set aside for 25 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat a lightly-oiled stovetop griddle. Arrange the skewers on the hot griddle and grill until the vegetables are tender and browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve hot with the salad on the side.