This awesome sandwich consists of vegan burger patties, melty vegan cheese, and mushrooms sandwiched between two slices of grilled rye bread. It's paired with a special sauce to add even more ooey, gooey creaminess and to give the sandwich a bit of tang to off-set the sweetness from those fine caramelized onions.
Premium Patty Melt With Mushrooms and Special Sauce [Vegan]
For the Patty Melt:
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 pound Button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 vegan burger patties, sautéed, grilled, or baked
- Vegan butter, as needed
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Special sauce (recipe below)
For the Special Sauce:
To Make the Patty Melt:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Uncover and season with salt and black pepper. Stir in 4 minced garlic, reduce heat to low, and cook until caramelized, about 30 more minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a separate large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the mushrooms. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and continue to cook until golden, about 7 more minutes. Stir in the remaining garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the burgers in the skillet, if sautéeing the burgers.
- Heat the large skillet over medium heat. Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of the bread slices. Add 4 slices of bread to the skillet and add 2 tablespoons of cheese to each bread. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese and toast the bread.
- Divide the onions and mushrooms evenly over each cheesy bread and add a burger patty to each bread. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce on the burgers and add the remaining bread slices, butter side up. Flip the sandwiches to toast the uncooked bread slices.
- When toasted golden, cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
To Make the Special Sauce:
- Combine the mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, and Sriracha in a small bowl. Add salt and black pepper to taste.