This clean-eating mayo is creamy and rich, with a tangy zip, and no oil. Where does all that low-fat creaminess come from? None other than cauliflower and cashews, which give it an incredibly silky texture. Try this delicious plant-based mayo on sandwiches, potato salad, and more!
Oil-Free Mayonnaise With a Secret Ingredient [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup of filtered water or unsweetened/unflavored plant milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 pinches of sea salt, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth and silky, this might take a couple of minutes. Taste and adjust lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt. Mayonnaise will be thin at this point, but will thicken up in the refrigerator. Allow to set in the fridge a couple hours before using. Store in the refrigerator and use within a week.
- Feel free to omit the mustard, if you’re not a mustard fan. Experiment with adding other spices and flavorings, like garlic powder or dill, if you like.