Warm, gooey, sweet, and spicy apples and pears with a crumbly oat topping. Serve with a big dollop of whipped cream and a big mug of hot black coffee!
Pear and Apple Oat Crisp [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup organic sprouted spelt flour
- 1/4 cup packed organic light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 3 pounds organic apples and red pears, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup.
- Cut butter into flour using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- Add oats and use your hands to toss and squeeze mixture until large, moist clumps form. Transfer to the freezer to chill while you prepare the apples.
- In another large bowl, toss apples with apple cider vinegar, Chinese five spice, and the remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup.
- Transfer to a pie plate and sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 55-65 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.