Crispy and flavorful, these chickpea fries from Peacefood Cafe are absolutely addicting! They're made from chickpea flour, which gives them a fluffy texture, and flavored with coconut shreds, nutritional yeast, and a delicious blend of spices. Serve with dairy-free Caesar dipping sauce on the side or with your favorite sauce!
Peacefood Cafe’s Award Winning Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Peacefood Cafe’s Award Winning Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chickpea Fries:
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (preferably besan gram flour)
- 5 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon each of minced garlic and ginger
- 1/4 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 tablespoons of blended spices (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed for baking
- 2 cups olive oil for deep-frying option
For the Caesar Dipping Sauce:
How to Prepare Peacefood Cafe’s Award Winning Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine water, nutritional yeast, dried fenugreek leaves, and shredded unsweetened coconut; stir to mix these ingredients well. Then, set them aside in a bowl.
- In a heavy pot, pour in olive oil, minced garlic, and ginger and saute them over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add blended spice mix, and saute for another minute, then pour mixture into another pot along with the flour. Stir constantly at this point to keep dough from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Stir the mixture with slowly increased flame for about 15 minutes until thicken, remove the mixture from the heat, add salt and pepper for taste.
- Transfer the thicken mixture to the prepared cookie sheet. Spread evenly and let it cool down. Then, refrigerate overnight.
- To serve the fries, cut out mixture into 3-inch length x 3/4-inch width rectangles. Deep fry them in preheated 350°F oil of choice OR bake them in preheated 350°F oven until they are golden brown. Serve immediately with Peacefood's Caesar dipping sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
For the spice blend, use a pinch each of ground coriander, turmeric, cumin, chili, fenugreek seeds, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom seeds, bay leaf, fennel, and onion flakes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Chickpea Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Calories per batch of baked fries: 1027 | Carbs: 93g | Fat: 57g | Protein: 41g | Sugar: 17g | Sodium: 99mgNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.