Family food traditions can be strong and people often want familiar dishes and flavors. Although this recipe is made with tofu, it is purposely flavored with poultry like seasonings and served with gravy as a tasty alternative to more traditional meat-centric dishes. Serve with whatever sides you fancy for a gorgeous and delicious meal.
Crispy Coated Baked Tofu With Gravy [Vegan]
For the Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme,
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Crispy Coating:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce block tofu
- Vegan gravy, for serving
- Press your tofu in a tofu press or by wrapping it in a towel and placing something heavy on top of it for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all of your marinade ingredients in a small dish.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine all of the crispy coating ingredients.
- Cut the tofu into four equal slabs.
- Place the cut tofu into the marinade. Gently poke a few holes in the tofu to let the marinade seep in. Spoon the marinade over the tofu to ensure it’s well covered and then allow it to marinate for at least 45 minutes. Turn over once after about 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each piece of marinated tofu into the crispy coating mix and ensure it’s well coated. Place each piece on the parchment paper.
- Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and thinly slice each piece of tofu on an angle.
- Serve with gravy.