This is definitely not your average mac and cheese recipe. The decadent smokey cheese sauce is packed with sautéed jalapeños and vegan chicken, pasta, and breadcrumbs before being baked until it's hot and bubbling. It's the best bar food you can imagine – without the bar.
‘Chicken’ Sriracha Jalapeño Mac n’ Cheese [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a pan, on medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Sauté the vegan chicken and jalapeños until they're cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the Sriracha and cook them an additional 2-3 minute. Set this aside.
- Cook noodles according to package and set them aside
- Mix bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Set this aside.
- In a large saucepan on medium-low heat, add your cheeses and one cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk.
- Stir this until cheeses have melted, but are still a bit clumpy.
- Add remaining cup and a half of non-dairy milk and continue to stir until all the cheese lumps are gone.
- Mix chicken, jalapeños, and noodles into the cheese sauce and stir them until all the noodles and chicken are coated with sauce. Season this with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mac and cheese to a large casserole dish and top it with panko bread crumb mixture. Cover this with foil and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake it for another 20-30 minutes, until it's golden brown and bubbly. Broil this for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking for an extra crispy crust.