This meaty lasagna has layers of hearty lentil Bolognese, creamy cashew cheese, and pasta. And if you make a few key ingredients ahead of time, like the lentils and the nut cheese, you can assemble this dish in mere minutes. Yum!
Cheesy Lentil Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Cheesy Lentil Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lentil Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 of 1 16-ounce bag frozen peppers and onions
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 26-ounce box strained tomatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Lasagna:
How to Prepare Cheesy Lentil Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Lentil Bolognese:
- Add can of whole tomatoes to rice cooker. Use the edge of a long handled spoon to break the tomatoes apart into chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients to rice cooker in the order they are listed and stir to mix well.
- Close rice cooker lid and select white rice setting. Depending on your rice cooker model you will likely need to repeat the cook cycle 2-3 times to cook the ingredients down to a sauce consistency.
To Make the Lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place arugula in a food processor fitted with the "S"-blade and pulse until finely minced.
- Combine minced arugula, oregano, and basil with cashew cheese and stir to mix well.
- Add about 1 cup of lentil bolognese sauce to a baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Leave a little space around each noodle since they will expand.
- Spread 1/3 of the cashew cheese mixture on top of the lasagna.
- Spread about 1 1/2 cups of the Lentil Bolognese Sauce over the cheese covered noodles.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the mozzarella shreds over sauce, if desired.
- Repeat steps 5-8 two more times.
- Place the final 3 lasagna noodles on top of the last layer. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella shreds.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of vegan Parmesan over the top and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350°F or until sauce is bubbling and top noodles appear tender in the center of the pan.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest uncovered for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 3631 | Total Carbs: 512 g | Total Fat: 131 g | Total Protein: 122 g | Total Sodium: 10045 g | Total Sugar: 107 g Per Serving: Calories: 519 | Carbs: 73 g | Fat: 19 g | Protein: 17 g | Sodium: 1435 mg | Sugar: 15 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.