This meaty lasagna has layers of hearty lentil Bolognese, creamy cashew cheese, and pasta. And if you make a few key ingredients ahead of time, like the lentils and the nut cheese, you can assemble this dish in mere minutes. Yum!
Cheesy Lentil Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lentil Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 of 1 16-ounce bag frozen peppers and onions
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 26-ounce box strained tomatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Lasagna:
To Make the Lentil Bolognese:
- Add can of whole tomatoes to rice cooker. Use the edge of a long handled spoon to break the tomatoes apart into chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients to rice cooker in the order they are listed and stir to mix well.
- Close rice cooker lid and select white rice setting. Depending on your rice cooker model you will likely need to repeat the cook cycle 2-3 times to cook the ingredients down to a sauce consistency.
To Make the Lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place arugula in a food processor fitted with the "S"-blade and pulse until finely minced.
- Combine minced arugula, oregano, and basil with cashew cheese and stir to mix well.
- Add about 1 cup of lentil bolognese sauce to a baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Leave a little space around each noodle since they will expand.
- Spread 1/3 of the cashew cheese mixture on top of the lasagna.
- Spread about 1 1/2 cups of the Lentil Bolognese Sauce over the cheese covered noodles.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the mozzarella shreds over sauce, if desired.
- Repeat steps 5-8 two more times.
- Place the final 3 lasagna noodles on top of the last layer. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella shreds.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of vegan Parmesan over the top and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350°F or until sauce is bubbling and top noodles appear tender in the center of the pan.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest uncovered for at least 15 minutes before serving.