When breakfast meets lunch you know you’re in for a treat! Today we’re bringing you some next level brunch ideas that fancy both the sweet and savory. This dish is perfect for any carb craving tofu scramble lovers. It pairs perfectly with a warm side of pizza sauce plus your favorite shows on Netflix, and if you’re feeling crazy, maybe even a beer too. Get ready to eat like it’s the weekend any day of the week. This breakfast calzone recipe is the perfect to serve as an appetizer, at parties, or just enjoy!
Braided Breakfast Calzone [Vegan]
To Make the Glazed Tempeh:
- 1/2 block tempeh, cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
To Make the Tofu Scramble:
- 1/2 or more cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 block (about 8 ounces) firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Calzone:
- Remove the pizza dough from refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add in the tempeh, bring down to a simmer and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. Discard water, and add tempeh into a bowl or reusable ziplock bag.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and carefully mix together. Place into the refrigerator and marinate for 1 hour or overnight if making ahead.
- As the tempeh marinates, prepare your tofu scramble. In a medium pan over medium heat, add in 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth. Once warmed, add in the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes, or until fragrant. Add the zucchini and tomato, and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until the zucchini has mostly cooked through. Add more water or broth as necessary to prevent burning.
- Using your hands, crumble in the tofu, and then sprinkle over the remaining spices. Mix until uniform, again adding more water or broth as necessary to prevent burning (about 2-3 tablespoons at a time). Cook for 8-10 minutes, then taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in the tempeh and all of the marinade. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden, being sure to flip to cook each side. If needed, add 2-3 tablespoons of water or broth at a time to prevent burning. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle roughly about 8×12-inches. Using a sharp knife, trim the edges to be sure each edge is straight. Place the dough onto the lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut strips into the sides of the dough at a downward slope. You can either discard of the top piece of the dough or save it with the other scraps for another recipe. See a step by step how to in the video above.
- Spread in the pizza sauce, about 3/4 of the tofu scramble (or as much as fits), tempeh, and vegan cheese if using.
- Fold the bottom flap up, sealing the sides. Take the first strip of pastry on the right and cross it over, then seal the end by pressing it into the other side. Repeat this on alternating sides until you are left with 2 strips of dough.
- Tightly fold the top end over as you did on the bottom, then tuck the last two strips over, trying your best to seal the end. Prior to placing it into the oven, you can brush it with almond milk to help it give it a golden color.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely, then slice and serve with pizza sauce or marinara.