Vegan pizza is probably something you’ll have to make at home, depending on where you live because not a lot of places offer vegan cheese, or are familiar with cheese-less pizzas if you go that way. I like thick sauces, because low fat healthy pizza crusts can be a little dry and you really want to have that moisture from the pizza sauce on there. Here’s one that’s oil-free, fat-free and vegan!
How to Make Thick Pizza Sauce
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 6 tbsp of water with 1/2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable base OR 6 tbsp water mixed with 1/2 cube bouillon
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener (agave, brown rice syrup)
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp freeze dried garlic or garlic powder
- 2 twists of ground black pepper
- dash of smoked paprika
- dash of salt *if desired
- sprinkle of chilli flakes *if desired
- Open the can of tomato paste and scoop into a bowl. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine. Taste test, adding additional seasonings if desired.
- Spread over pizza crust leaving a small gap for the crust of the pizza.
This recipe should cover up to an extra large pizza with sauce, or several personal pan pizzas. I had extra left over even after liberally topping my large pizza crust. I also topped it with my special recipe of sautéed baby portobello mushrooms and onions, frozen pineapple, kalamata olives and fresh garlic.