French toast is always a very comforting breakfast when growing up. Here is a version that includes a spark of freshness from the berries along with some indulgence and creaminess from the nut butter.
Almond Butter and Smashed Raspberry Stuffed French Toast [Vegan]
- 4 slices of good quality bread
- 2/3 cup) almond or plant milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- tiny pinch of salt
- coconut oil, for frying
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons Almond Butter, shop-bought or home-made
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- coconut sugar
- dollop of Coconut Yogurt, shop-bought or home-made
- chopped nuts
- First spread all 4 slices of bread with almond butter and squash as many raspberries as you can fit in over 2 pieces of bread, then press them down with a fork. Top with the other slices and gently press down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Place the bread in a shallow dish (with sides) that holds all of the bread. Pour the batter over the bread, then lift or flip it over to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the bread slices and cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown.
- To make it look pretty, cut your toast in half and serve scattered with coconut sugar and fruit and drizzled with maple syrup and a dollop of coconut yogurt and some chopped nuts, or just have it as it is.