Don't be intimidated by the name of this recipe, it's basically the most delicious wrap/dip you'll ever make. Achari dahi bhindi is a spicy, tangy, Indian side dish similar to pickles. Roits are the perfect flatbread for this dish, however, it also goes well over rice.
Achari Dahi Bhindi With Roti: Indian Pickled Okra With Flatbread [Vegan]
For the Achari Dahi Bhindi:
- 4 cups okra, sliced
- 1 Cup red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
For the Duppad Roti:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil, for dough
- 4-5 tablespoons oil, for dipping dough ball
- Extra flour, for dusting
- Water, for kneading dough
To Make the Achari Dahi Bhindi:
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the nigella seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and the fenugreek seeds. Sauté them on a medium heat for a few seconds.
- Add the asafetida and toss it well.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the green chili, salt, and turmeric powder and sauté the mixture for a minute.
- Add the chopped ginger, and chopped garlic and sauté it for 30 more seconds.
- Add the okra and sauté it for 5-7 minutes on medium heat, while stirring it occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and sauté them for 1 minute.
- Add coriander, chili powder, and the garam masala and mix it well.
- Sauté for another minute.
- Add the yogurt and mix it in well. Cover the pan and cook it for 3-4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mango pickle and mix well. Let it cook for another minute and remove from heat.
To Make the Duppad Roti:
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour, salt, and water and knead the ingredients together to make a soft dough.
- Apply 1 teaspoon of oil and shape it into a ball.
- Cover the dough and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12-14 equal sized balls.
- Now take two balls and flatten them.
- Dip one ball into oil and dip another one into dry flour.
- Join both balls and merge them together by pressing and seal the corners.
- Roll this into a 7-inch circle.
- Cut the edges with a pizza cutter or knife to make an even circle.
- Heat oil in a pan and place the roti in it.
- Once you see the bubbles, flip it and roast it on the other side.
- Press the circle evenly with a napkin on all sides with very soft hands while roasting.
- Now, carefully put the upper half of it on the side, pull it over gently and peel off the layer completely.
- You will see that the roti has split into two equal parts.
- Remove it from the heat and place the two halves on a plate.
- Repeat the same process with other dough balls