Apples are back in season and there are so many ways to use apples! It might be easy to think of making a pie, applesauce, or even an apple crisp, but there are many ways to create savory recipes with apples. Apples are crunchy and sweet, making them the perfect vehicles to accompany sweet and salty flavors. That means they work well in savory recipes. If you want, you can even check out our roundup of savory apple recipes!
Apples can be cooked into soups, paired with parsnips and other aromatic herbs like rosemary. And these recipes are perfect to get you started. You can use apples in salads or pair them with grains like quinoa, potatoes, or even in galettes!
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And don’t forget to check out our Weekly Meal Plan Archives!
This week, we’re bringing delicious, fully vegan, and plant-based ways to enjoy apples in savory recipes!
Soups and Salads
Source: Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Kale Apple Salad
These soups and salads are sure to wow you this autumn season, and apples truly shine in; if you haven’t tried apples either in salads with a bit of vegan feta cheese, or pureed into soups, here are a few recipes to get you started.
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Kale Apple Salad by Dominique Ebra
- Apple Quinoa Salad by Desiree Rodriguez
- Lettuce Tacos filled with Quinoa Apple Salad and Curry Citrus Dressing by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
- Apple, Parsnip, and Fennel Soup With Crispy Sage Brussels Sprouts by Claire Ragozzino
- Apple Cheddar Broccoli Soup by Katia Martin
Source: Butternut Squash and Apple Galette with Sage
These savory warming recipes all feature apples! You can try apples in a slaw and use it on sandwiches, or layer it with vegetables and tartlets and add a few herbs. The options are endless!
- Skillet Potatoes With Chickpeas and Roasted Apples by Florian Nouh
- Rustic Tartlets With Caramelized Onions, Apple, and Butternut Squash by Dora Daily
- Pulled ‘Pork’ Sandwiches With Carrot Apple Slaw by Robin Browne
- Butternut Squash Apple Cranberry Gratin by Lydia Filgueras
- Butternut Squash and Apple Galette with Sage by Marie Reginato
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!