This apple cheddar broccoli soup is so yummy. It is deliciously cheesy with hints of apple, nutritious, and filling enough to keep you going throughout the day.
Apple Cheddar Broccoli Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion (1 medium)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup apple, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 1 cup
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pour boiling water over cashews and set aside.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, and apple and stir fry for 3-4 min then cover with 1 cup of broth. Bring to a slow simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Pour strain out the vegetables and cashews and transfer to blender reserving some of the broth as a liquid for blending. Add your nutritional yeast and blend till smooth.
- In your soup pot, add your broccoli florets and the rest of the soup broth and bring to a slow simmer. Cook till your desired tenderness (I prefer a little more crunchy and I simmered it in for about 10 minutes)
- Once the broccoli florets have been cooked to the desired tenderness, transfer in your "cheddar" and stir while keeping a slow simmer for 5 minutes. Add more water if the thickness is too dense or simmer a little longer if it is too watery.
- Serve with croutons or bread, chives, and a drizzle of coconut milk for presentation.