This is a savory galette that has just a touch of sweetness coming from the beautifully roasted apple slices. Beneath the layers of roasted squash and apples are sautéed onions, all wrapped in a sage freckled crust. It’s absolutely heavenly. It's also synch to whip together!
Butternut Squash and Apple Galette with Sage [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 6-8 sage leaves
- 1/4 cups cold water
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- sea salt
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves
- 1/2 red apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 butternut squash, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided and reserved for topping
- 2 tablespoons sage, reserved for topping
- sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Make the crust by adding the flour, sea salt and sage leaves into the food processor. Slowly add in the coconut oil and water, and pulse frequently as this gently blends into the flour. Pulse only enough until the the ingredients combine together, 30 seconds or so.
- Fold the dough into a ball and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In the meantime, make the filling. In a small pan on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add in the onions, pinch of salt, one teaspoon of sage leaves, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Set this aside as you roll out your dough into a circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the center of the crust, layer on the onions evenly in the center and leave about a 1 inch rim from the center of the galette to the edge (this will be the crust that you fold over the veggies).
- Mix the squash and apples in a small bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt. Add the butternut squash and apple slices on top of the onions (just as you see it in the picture).
- Gently fold the edges of the crust on top of the outer sides of the squash. Add small chunks of the coconut oil on top of the galette, along with the sage leaves, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the curst is flaky and the squash is cooked through.
- Slice and enjoy!