This apple, parsnip, and fennel soup is the perfect comforting meal that celebrates the fall harvest. The apple provides sweet notes that counter the starchy, zesty parsnip. For added texture and veggies, make crispy sage Brussels sprouts to sprinkle on top. This soup is so creamy, your dinner guests will not believe that it is dairy-free!
Apple, Parsnip, and Fennel Soup With Crispy Sage Brussels Sprouts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Apple, Parsnip, and Fennel Soup With Crispy Sage Brussels Sprouts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 4-5 large parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 small apples, cored and chopped
- 8-10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
For the Crispy Sage Brussels Sprouts:
- 10 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 6-8 Shiitake mushroom caps, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, loosely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
How to Prepare Apple, Parsnip, and Fennel Soup With Crispy Sage Brussels Sprouts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Soup:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the sliced leek and fennel. Sauté for 5 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients minus the nutritional yeast and simmer on medium heat until parsnips are tender about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender, add the nutritional yeast then purée until creamy. To serve, garnish with crispy Brussel sprouts and Shiitake mixture.
To Make the Crispy Brussel Sprouts:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine all ingredients on a baking sheet or pan, toss with olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. When slightly crispy, remove from oven and serve hot, scooping desired amount over top each bowl of soup.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 254 | Carbs: 39 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 1114 mg | Sugar: 18 g Calculation not including additional salt or oil.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.