You may know Ricky Gervais as a comedian, actor, and director, best known for his role in creating the British sitcom The Office. But those who love animals may also recognize him for his most important work as a passionate activist and a voice for the voiceless.
Gervais has worked with foster animals, pushed to end animal testing, and spoken out against fur, trophy hunting, the dog meat trade, bear bile farming, the exotic pet trade, wildlife markets, animals in circuses, puppy mills, and Seaworld among many other causes.
It seems the only thing Gervais hadn’t actively promoted was a vegan diet, and it left many people wondering where he stood on the topic. In January of 2021, he took a pledge to participate in Veganuary, but it was unclear if that’s the way he always ate or if it’s something he’d continue throughout the rest of the year.
But now, Gervais has confirmed what many believed all along: He’s a vegan.
In an episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Fallon asked Gervais: “If you had to be a cannibal, who would you eat?”
Gervais paused for a moment, before answering: “Well, I’m vegan, so it’s even worse for me.”
“I’d rather not eat anyone,” he later added.
You can watch the segment below:
- Ricky Gervais Calls Out Government to Scrap Ban on Charities Campaigning Against Animal Experiments
- Ricky Gervais and Zac Efron Partner to End Animal Testing
- Ricky Gervais Speaks Out Against Exotic Pet Trade
- Jane Goodall, Paul McCartney, Ricky Gervais Among 100 Celebrities Who Have Pledged to Go Plant-Based in 2021 to Fight Climate Change
- Ricky Gervais Speaks Out About Ban on Wild Animal Circus Acts in the UK
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!