Vegan chocolate babka, also known as Krantz cake, is a soft, sweet, cake-like braided yeast bread that resembles brioche. It is swirled with a creamy chocolate and cinnamon filling that appears marbled when you cut into it. It’s extremely soft, moist, chocolatey, and irrisistable!
After the babka is baked in the oven, it is drizzled with a sweet syrup, giving it a beautiful shine and keeping it moist. Babka comes from the early 19th century, from the Polish and Ukrainian Jewish communities. The word ‘babka’ means ‘grandmother,’ and it refers to the grandmothers who created this famous dessert out of leftover challah bread on Shabbat.
While Babka originated in Jewish or Eastern European bakeries, this cinnamon and chocolate-swirled dessert can be found all over the Internet.
The other great thing about this recipe is that you can easily make it without dairy, eggs, or hard-to-find substitutes!
What You’ll Need:
- Vegan butter
- Cocoa powder
- Instant yeast
- Dairy-free milk
- Brown sugar
- Vegan cane sugar
- Maple syrup
- Dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
The Basic Steps to Follow:
- Start out with a large bowl, and whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt.
- You’ll then add in your sweetener of choice. You can use maple syrup, agave, etc.
- Then, you’ll want to fold the mixture until everything is evenly combined, and roll it into a round ball shape using your hands. Now, grease the bowl, and place your dough ball inside, and place a piece of plastic wrap on top.
- Allow the dough to sit for about an hour in room temperature.
- After about an hour, your dough should have doubled in size. Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Lightly brush the vegan butter across the top and sprinkle a mixture of cocoa powder, dairy-free butter, sugar, and dairy-free chocolate chips on top as well.
- Roll the dough into a log, and cut it length wise so you have two long pieces of dough. Pinch the ends together on each side and braid the two pieces together.
- Place the loaf into a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
How to Make Chocolate Vegan Babka
Source: Make It Dairy Free/Youtube
Make It Dairy Free shows us step-by-step how to veganize delicious chocolate babka, featuring their well known vegan everything dough. As Make It Dairy Free says, chocolate babka is the perfect holiday breakfast or brunch showpiece that will wow people when you say that you make it from scratch, but it’s so easy to do! You really can’t go wrong with bread filled with chocolate!
Check out these vegan babka recipes to make at home:
- White Chocolate Babka
- 5-Ingredient Babka Wreath
- Saffron Babka with Cardamom Sugar Swirl
- Chocolate Babka
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.