This White Chocolate Babka is what every yeast cake lovers dreams are made off! It’s not only completely vegan but super fluffy and moist with a delicious almond white chocolate filling.
White Chocolate Babka [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the Filling:
- 1 cup white vanilla chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons slivered almonds
- Soy milk (for brushing)
- Heat the soy milk until warm to the touch and pour into a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon out of the 1/4 cup sugar, as well as the instant yeast and gently stir until combined. Set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Combine the vegan butter and the baking powder and let rest for 3 minutes until foamy.
- Place 3 cups of the flour and remaining sugar in a large bowl and whisk together. Add in the yeast and the butter mixture and combine with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to knead for 5-8 minutes. You want the dough to be moist but not too sticky. Add in the remaining 1/4 cup flour as needed.
- Grease a clean bowl with oil and place the dough ball inside. Cover with a towel and let rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- In the meantime melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place it on a floured surface and roll it out to a 12-x16-inch rectangle. Spread out the chocolate on top leaving a 0.8 inch (2cm) border around all sides and sprinkle the almonds on it.
- Starting from one side, roll up the dough tightly until you have a long log. Use a sharp knife to cut it lengthways, then lift one half over the other and repeat this step until it has formed a twist. Gently lift into a loaf tin covered with parchment paper and let rest for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the babka with soy milk and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let cool down for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegan butter and maple syrup.