Post-Memorial Day is considered by many to be the unofficial start to summer. The days are getting hotter and while we might want to stray away from decadent and chocolatey desserts that are prone to melting (except ice cream), we’re not about to give up on desserts altogether. Yes, that’s right — there are desserts out there that aren’t chocolate.
Summer is the time to get into fruity, refreshing desserts that’ll give you your sugar fix and not leave you feeling like eating that dessert was just too much because of the warmer weather. So, what kind of fruit should you use in June? It’s a great month for mango, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, peach, and more — today, we’ll focus on those ones.
There’s a rainbow of fruits seasonally available in June and One Green Planet is your guide to using them! Here are 15 desserts to try so you can make the most of all that seasonal fruit.
1. Mango and Coconut Jelly
This Mango and Coconut Jelly is inspired by a Burmese dessert called “kyauk kyaw” — a light and sweet jelly made without the gelatin. The mango adds extravagance, with its pronounced, sweet, and tangy flavor. The creaminess of the coconut complements the sharp flavor of the mango. If the mango you have purchased is of the tangy variety, omit the lime juice from the recipe. Otherwise, a splash of lime juice adds a nice punch to the dish.
2. Mango Ginger Popsicles
These 3-ingredient Mango Ginger Popsicles are perfect for the summer! Refreshing mango, gingery zing, and almond milk come together in these tasty and super easy-to-make treats. These babies need to be set in the freezer for at least four hours, but believe us, it’s worth it!
3. Mango Lassi Blueberry Smoothie
This refreshing Mango Lassi Blueberry Smoothie combines two seasonal June fruits! A frothy layer of mango and coconut cream lassi with a sweet blueberry and almond milk smoothie. Since this drink combines fruit components with creamy ones, the texture is similar to that of a milkshake. The result is a beautifully bright two-layered beverage that is perfect for welcoming in the Spring season! Enjoy!
4. Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake
This Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake is next level dessert. A basic vanilla cake is soaked in a mixture of soy milk, coconut milk, and coconut cream are used to create a dessert that’s moist and decadent. Topped with coconut cream frosting, fresh mango, and lime zest, this cake tastes like a cross between a mango margarita and a traditional tres leches cake. It’s not overly sweet, making it perfect for any celebration.
5. Baked Blueberry Doughnuts
Do you know how good fresh fruit is on doughnuts? So good! These Baked Blueberry Doughnuts have fresh fruit baked into the batter and they’re topped with a sweet blueberry glaze. A drop or two is perfect for some, a heavier drizzle pleases others, and then there are those of you who, like me, want to fully submerge the doughnut into the glaze to cover it completely.
6. Blueberry Ice Cream With Tofu and Cashews
This is really delicious Blueberry Ice Cream, with antioxidants, vitamins, healthy fats, and protein. It’s completely dairy-free, made creamy with cashews and silken tofu (don’t worry, you won’t taste it) and sweetened with maple syrup. If you’re looking for a healthier kind of sweet treat, then this recipe is for you.
7. Frozen Blueberry Tart
Floral, salty, crunchy, icy, juicy, fruity, creamy, minty, and maple-y … this Frozen Blueberry Tart is all of those elements in one bite! It’s easy to make, can be made the night before a gathering, and when garnished with a mound of fresh berries and mint, it’s quite the show-stopper! After you make this tart once, you’ll be inspired to create it using different fruits and flavors.
8. Bourbon Vanilla Blueberry Peach Crumble
Get your cast-iron skillet ready for something boozy and wonderful — this Bourbon Vanilla Blueberry Peach Crumble. Wild blueberries and juicy peaches are tossed together with vanilla, warm spices, bourbon, and oats, then baked in the oven until crisp and warm. This rustic fruit-and-oat crumble is easy to make and hard to share. Top it with coconut whipped cream, vegan vanilla ice cream, and a dash of cinnamon.
9. Peach Mango Hand Pies
These Peach Mango Hand Pies are wicked good. Sweet yellow mangoes and smooth peaches come together beautifully within a flaky, crunchy crust. All that you need to top it off is a scoop of non-dairy ice cream!
10. Seasonal Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
In this Seasonal Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, lemon juice and a bit of orange zest highlight the tartness, while cinnamon and allspice play off the sweet notes. It’s the perfect balance and the perfect dessert for summer picnics.
11. Sugar-Free Strawberry Shortcake
This Sugar-Free Strawberry Shortcake is also grain-free and oil-free! It’s easy-to-make and delicious with fresh berries, strawberry cashew cream, and healthy almond flour biscuits. Make the biscuits ahead of time and you can put it together in no time at all. This dessert is sure to please!
12. 4-Ingredient Strawberry Ice Cream
You don’t need an ice cream maker to make this 4-Ingredient Strawberry Ice Cream — you don’t even need to churn it! It’s only four ingredients between you and frozen, sweet strawberry delight. It’s the perfect way to take full advantage of strawberry season.
13. Raspberry Yogurt Popsicles
Forget the ice cream man! These Raspberry Yogurt Popsicles are super simple and easy to make. You only need a few ingredients and they are so cute, with speckles of fresh raspberry.
14. Raspberry Lemon Coconut Cheesecake
The perfect cheesecake for any occasion, this Raspberry Lemon Coconut Cheesecake, starts with a crumbly oat and coconut base that’s topped with a layer of creamy coconut cashew cheesecake filling, topped with a pastel pink raspberry layer. The second layer has frozen raspberries mixed in so there are little bursts of chilled, tart berries within. Garnish with fresh lemon slices, shredded coconut, and raspberries and serve it plain or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
15. Raspberry Cookie Crumble
Warm and sweet, this Raspberry Cookie Crumble is perfect for when you’re craving a gooey dessert that’ll just melt in your mouth. As if the crumble wasn’t enough, this dish has little bursts of raspberry goodness! If raspberries aren’t your cup of tea, try blueberry or strawberry! Either way, this dessert is bound to delight.
Snacking on plain fruit is great, but turning them into dessert just sweetens the deal.
Lead image source: Mango and Coconut Jelly
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.