This strawberry shortcake is sugar-free, grain-free, and oil-free! It's easy-to-make and delicious with fresh berries, strawberry cashew cream, and healthy almond flour biscuits. Make the biscuits ahead of time and you can put it together in no time at all. This dessert is sure to please!
Sugar-Free Strawberry Shortcake [Vegan]
For the Almond Flour Biscuits:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flax meal, 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, brown rice syrup, or maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Cake:
- 6 almond flour biscuits (recipe above)
- 1/2 pound strawberries
- Freeze-dried strawberries for garnish (optional)
For the Strawberry Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours
- Approximately 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
To Make the Almond Flour Biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and sweetener to the milk, stir gently, and set aside (it will curdle and thicken).
- Mix the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Stir the remaining (dry) ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the flax mixture, the sweetener, and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a cutting surface such as a large cutting board or a marble slab.
- Shape the dough into an oval, about 3/4-inch tall.
- Work in more almond flour if the dough is too sticky, too wet, or otherwise misbehaving.
- Use a 2 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to cut into biscuits. You could also just use the ring portion of a mason jar lid.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
To Make the Cake:
- To make the cashew cream, blend the cashews, water, and strawberries in a high-powered blender. Add the water, a little at a time, until you have a thick, creamy consistency.
- Layer the biscuits with the strawberries and the cream.
- Top with some freeze-dried strawberries for an especially decorative flair.