This dessert is inspired by a Burmese dessert called "kyauk kyaw" — a light and sweet jelly made without the gelatin. The mango adds extravagance, with its pronounced, sweet, and tangy flavor. The creaminess of the coconut complements the sharp flavor of the mango. If the mango you have purchased is of the tangy variety, omit the lime juice from the recipe. Otherwise, a splash of lime juice adds a nice punch to the dish.
Mango and Coconut Jelly [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mango and Coconut Jelly [Vegan]
For the Mango Layer:
- 8.81 ounces mango, roughly cubed (from about 1 1/2–2 mangos)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Lime juice, to taste (optional)
- 15 small mint leaves (optional)
- 1 small mango, cubed (optional)
For the Coconut Layer:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon agar agar powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup canned coconut milk
- A small pinch of salt (optional)
How to Prepare Mango and Coconut Jelly [Vegan]
To Make the Mango Layer:
- Purée the mango pieces to a smooth pulp. Set aside.
- In a small heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, combine the water, agar agar, and sugar. Use a whisk to stir continuously, until the sugar and agar dissolve completely. If you take a little bit of the liquid and rub it between your fingers, it should not feel gritty.
- Add the mango purée and continue to stir and cook for a minute. If adding lime juice, add it now.
- Pour into an 8x6-inch glass or metal container. Spread the mango cubes and mint leaves over the liquid.
- Let it sit at room temperature to set completely. You may refrigerate to speed up the process, but it is not necessary.
To Make the Coconut Layer:
- Start this process only after the mango layer is set completely. The surface should feel smooth and hard to the touch.
- If re-using the same pan, remember to wash and dry it.
- Combine the water, sugar, salt, and agar agar in the pan over medium heat.
- Once the crystals are dissolved completely, add the coconut milk.
- Continue to stir and cook until the coconut milk is fragrant.
- While the coconut milk is still hot, pour over the mango layer. Make sure the coconut milk is hot, or else the two layerswont'stick' and will come apart while serving.
- Cool for a few hours in the refrigerator. Slice and serve cold.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 59 | Carbs: 10 g | Fat: 2 g | Protein: 0 g | Sodium: 2 mg | Sugar: 10 g Calculation not including optional ingredients.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.