In this recipe for tres leches cake, a basic vanilla cake is soaked in a mixture of soy milk, coconut milk, and coconut cream are used to create a dessert that's moist and decadent. Topped with coconut cream frosting, fresh mango, and lime zest, this cake tastes like a cross between a mango margarita and a traditional tres leches cake. It's not overly sweet, making it perfect for any celebration.
Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
For the Tres Leches Milk Mixture:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, separated from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond mixture
For the Coconut Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut cream separated from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the Topping:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
How to Prepare Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
- Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Gently open and scoop out coconut cream, place in a small bowl. Save the milk for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil an 8x8-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Make a well and pour in the soy milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour batter in pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool. Use a fork and poke cake to create holes for milk mixture to soak into.
- Combine the coconut milk, soy milk, and almond extract. Pour onto cake and let soak for at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, use an electric hand mixer set on high to mix coconut cream.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup at a time. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed. Evenly spread on top of cake soaked in milk.
- Mix diced mango, lime and zest in a small bowl. Garnish cake right before serving.
To Make the Cake:
For the Milk Mixture:
To Make the Coconut Cream:
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.