These hand pies are wicked good. Sweet yellow mangoes and smooth peaches come together beautifully within a flaky, crunchy crust. All that you need to top it off is a scoop of non-dairy ice cream!
Peach Mango Hand Pies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Peach Mango Hand Pies [Vegan]
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/8 cup organic sugar
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan non-hydrogenated shortening
- 5-6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup ripe yellow mango, chopped
- 1 cup ripe yellow peaches, sliced
- 1/8 cup organic sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup water
How to Prepare Peach Mango Hand Pies [Vegan]
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the shortening and using a pastry blender, cut the shortening and mix it into the flour. You could also use two table knives. With each hand holding a knife, cut the shortening in a criss cross motion. You may also pulse the mixture using a food processor, pulsing every 10-15 seconds until the shortening has been cut into small crumbs and mixed in with the flour.
- Add one tablespoon of water to one area of the mixture and mix that area using your hand. Keep adding one tablespoon of water at a time around different areas of the mixture and stop once you have formed everything into a soft dough.
- Flatten and form the dough into a disk then wrap the whole thing with a plastic wrap.
- Put the dough in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add everything except for the flour.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and let it cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to completely cool down.
- Take out the dough from the freezer and divide it into 4 parts.
- Grab one part and using a rolling pin, roll to flatten and expand the dough with just enough space to add the filling and cover it.
- Add two tablespoons of filling on the bottom half of the dough leaving a little bit of space on its sides.
- Fold down the upper half of the dough to cover the filling and gently pat down the sides to carefully seal the pie.
- Cut out the excess dough to clean up the look. Using a fork, gently press down the edges of the pie and set aside.
- Repeat process for the remaining dough. Put the prepared pies to the freezer while preparing the stove (or oven if you'd like to bake).
- Heat a wok or pan over medium heat then pour about two inches of cooking oil.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a piece of dough. If it quickly bubbles, it's ready.
- Gently drop the dough to the oil and fry for a minute or two or until you see the edges have turned golden brown.
- Flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Transfer the pies to a cooling rack or a plate covered in paper towel.
- Let it cool for 2-3 minutes and serve.
- Bake in a pre-heated 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.